Farm Tools & Heavy Equipment Glossary & List; Names & Their Uses

Leap Auctions, LLC is a family owned and operated auction firm that specializes in sale and disposition of livestock, heavy agricultural farming and construction equipment, antiques, collectibles, jewelry, gold, coins, vehicles, full estate sales, total business liquidations and surplus assets in the State of Texas. With our expertise and resources we can help sellers maximize their revenues and encourage bidders. Our experienced staff pulls together to ensure each and every auction is a success!

Heavy Farming Equipment List

In an effort to assist our valued customers, we have compiled an equipment glossary of farm tools and equipment terms to help you better meet your farming needs.
Tractor: Tractors are available in a variety of sizes appropriate for farmers with one acre of land all the way up to those working 1,000 acres or more. Tractors are a versatile piece of farming equipment and are very commonly seen on farms. You want one that has the right amount of horsepower and the right hitch rating for the work you plan to do with it.
Two-Wheeled Tractor: A 2-wheeled tractor, also known as a walk-behind tractor, is a valuable piece of equipment and is ideal on the smallest-scale farm, as well. The wielder walks behind it and you can use an assortment of attachments: hay-baler, rotor-tiller, snow blower, bed shaper, seeder, wagon, and more.
Wagon: A farm wagon is a large, four-wheel wooden wagon designed for moving hay. There are wagons that come in several different sizes.
Backhoe: A backhoe is your tool for digging deeper holes than a shovel is ideal for. If you don’t have plans to dig holes on a regular basis it may not be worth the investment. Backhoes can be purchased as separate hydraulic implements for some tractor types.
Front-End Loader: Front-end loaders can be considered more useful on the small-scale farm on a regular basis. Not all tractors are equipped to handle a front-end loader, but if yours is, you can dig, move bulky items (including loose things like soil and manure), lift heavy items and equipment as well as perform some land-grading tasks.
Cultivator: Cultivators are used for soil cultivation. Primarily in an effort to contribute to weed control before planting into a bed, as well as incorporating crop or weed residues and preparing a seed bed. Cultivator tines can be properly spaced to be used in a garden bed or crop field after plants are growing to remove the weeds from around the plants.
Cultipacker: Cultipackers are seen pulled behind tractors and are used to firm seedbeds before seeding to set up your planting for good seed-to-soil contact. Following up broadcast seeding with a pass with the cultipacker will press the seeds into the soil.
Plows: There an array of different kinds of plows used on a farm. Select the right combination of plows for your farm based on your soil type, the type of crop production you’re doing and the condition of the land. Below are the most commonly used plows.
Moldboard plows: Most frequently used on land that has not been in crop production before or has been fallow for a long time. The large wings of the plow are designed to cut into and turn over all of the soil in an area.
Chisel Plow: Chisel plows have long shanks that turn over the soil to a depth of 12 inches. Chisel plowing after applying a soil amendment can incorporate the amendment to 3 to 4 inches, and crop residues that are turned over during the plowing are concentrated in that soil depth. Chisel plowing will still leave some crop residue on the soil surface and typically won’t leave a seedbed that’s smooth enough to plant into; further soil prep is required to achieve that.
Disk Plow: Cuts into the soil but doesn’t turn it over completely the way a moldboard plow does.
Harrow: Harrows are pulled behind a tractor or ATV to level the soil surface, redistribute crop residue and interrupt the weed germination. You can attach a harrow to another implement that’s attached to your tractor to save you some time and expenses by making fewer passes through your field. Harrows are also handy for breaking up manure in the pasture and smoothing out riding-ring surfaces.
Plastic Mulch Layer: A plastic mulch layer tractor attachment is a must for large-scale farms using plasticulture growing methods. Small-scale farmers can find plastic mulch layer attachments for their walk-behind tractors and for low-horsepower tractors. A ream of plastic is mounted on the implement, discs shape the planting bed, and a series of wheels and wings lay the plastic flat along the bed.
Sprayers: The sprayers are widely used for applying compost tea, pesticides or herbicides whether they are organic or synthetic, and are definitely a handy tool to have on any farm. Backpack-sized sprayers and walk-behind sprayers are hand operated, while farmers with several acres of crops will use either the tractor- or ATV-mounted operated sprayer that is available.
Seed Drills: Seed drills are tractor attachments that insert seeds into the ground with minimal soil disturbance. They are generally used for row crops, cover crops, and grasses or forage. There are no-till seed drills and traditional seed drills.
No-Till Drills: No-till drills have coulter blade, which is a means of cutting through the existing crop residue that creates a clear path for planting seeds
Traditional Seed Drills: Traditional seed drills typically requires tilling or planting-area preparation before seeding because traditional seed drills do not have coulters to cut through the residue.
Broadcast Seeder: Broadcast seeders, or commonly known as rotary spreaders or seeders, come in all sizes; from a lawn seeder that you can carry around your neck to industrial-sized seeders that are pulled behind the largest of tractors. The concept of the broadcast seeder is to have the plate inside the seeder turn the seeds in the seeder’s hopper to distribute across an area. Each model has its own broadcast area, and this is usually adjustable. Broadcast seeders are ideal for planting cover crops, grasses and forages. Broadcast seeders are not for practical use in garden crops that require rows and organization.
Transplanter: Transplanters are ideal for the large-scale farmer and come in varying sizes from handheld models to the tractor-pulled transplanter, which contribute to making small-scale farmers’ lives easier. There are also handheld transplanters, which allow you to pop transplants into the ground without bending over and digging in the dirt. There are different models that use either foot action or hand action to activate a lever inside the transplanter that allows the plant to drop into the hole in the ground that this tool has made and there is no crawling on your hands and knees required. For farmers approaching 10 acres of vegetables, a waterwheel or other tractor-pulled transplanter may be worth the investment.
Mowers: There are standard push-behind mowers, riding mowers, zero-turn mowers, belly-mounted mowers or pull-behind mower implements that are all used for mowing down lawns and pastures. Making hay might require a sickle-bar mower, a drum mower, or a disc (rotary) mower. In any case, with the many options for mowers, you might have a collection to handle the farm.
Scythe: Scythes were the world’s primary grass or shrub cutting tools until farm-equipment mechanization moved in. One swing of a scythe can cut a swath 6 feet long by 4 inches wide, not exactly effective as a mower, but maybe it’s not a piece of farm equipment that should be completely ruled out.
Sickle: Even smaller than a scythe, a sickle is a hand-held cutting tool with a curved blade for harvesting or mowing. These are less efficient than scythes, as far as hand-operated cutting tools go, but can be useful in small applications.
Rakes: Rakes are necessary pieces of farm equipment if you’re making hay. Wheel rakes, parallel-bar rakes, rotary rakes and belt rakes are pulled behind a tractor, and each have their advantages and disadvantages, depending on a few factors such as; the quality of the hay-cutting , the hay’s moisture content, and the equipment-storage area you have available.
Balers: There are three general types of hay balers: 1) round balers, 2) square balers and 3) large square balers.
1) Round balers: Round balers pick up hay from the field and roll it into round bales, which are then wrapped with netting or twine.
2) Square balers: Square balers are available in a number of sizes. The right square baler for your farm will depend on how much acreage you’re baling. Balers can be equipped to tie bales with twine, wire, or both. A bale thrower is an add-on that makes stacking your bales on the wagon a whole lot easier.
3) Large square balers: Large square balers are designed for large-scale farms of 100 plus acres.
Combine or Harvester: Grain farmers will find they need a combine, or also referred to as a harvester, for their crops. Even with just an acre of grain crop, a combine is the most efficient means of getting it out of the field.
Manure Spreader: Manure needs to be managed on every farm that includes livestock. If you are not composting the manure or removing it from your property and you want to spread it on a field, a manure spreader is the most optimal piece of equipment. Manure spreaders are especially popular on horse farms.
Hydroponics: Hydroponics systems are becoming a growing commodity on farms, and are a proven system of growing plants in water rather than in soil. Benefits are being able to grow a lot of food in a small space, using less water than soil-cultivated gardens, being able to grow indoors and generally faster plant growth.

Buying & Selling Farm Tools & Heavy Equipment in Bryan, Dublin, Elgin, Jacksonville, Scroggins, TX & the State of Texas

Leap Auctions, LLC specialize in the buying, selling and disposition of farm tools and equipment. Contact us for more information and be sure to keep an eye on our upcoming auctions where you can get a great deal on used farm equipment!